Mesh Router are best for large Indian homes. As Indian towns and rural areas are also getting 100mbps to 1gbps plans thanks to isp providers like Bsnl Fiber, Jio fiber or Airtel Fiber who are rapidly expanding in semi urban + rural landscape. Advantage of using mesh router is near zero speed loss in comparison to traditional (wifi router+range extender) model where 50% speed loss is eminent. Another advantage is auto roaming which is activated by default in most mesh routers where you’ll automatically connected to router with highest coverage when you move around in the house, this is achieved by use of IEEE 802.11r/k/v protocols.
Mesh Routers are usually sold in 2 or 3 pieces set where one is main router and secondary are called satellites. 2piece setup is enough for 2000-3500sqft area while 3 piece setup is required for 3600-6000sqft area. Here coverage area depends on thickness, type & obviously no of walls within the house. One can add more satellites increase coverage.
For reliable brands we recommend Asus, Netgear and Tp-link. Netgear mesh router were first one to introduce unique dedicated 5ghz backhaul mode which bring speed loss from sattellite router to near zero. Tp-link is currently best for Indian Market due to value for money range. By default most Asus routers act as standalone routers yet support Aimesh too.
- Tp-link Deco M4 AC1200 with gigabit port. Best VFM device with parental control. more details.
- Tp-link Deco M5 Ac1300 with gigabit port. Advance version of M4. Parental control + malware+ anti-virus inbuilt. more details.
- Netgear Orbi RBK50 Triband Router System. Best out of all with dedicated wireless backhaul, parental control, stability. more details
- Asus AX55 AX1800 Dual Band Router with Aimesh support. Buy 2 or more pieces for mesh formation. more info
- Netgear Orbi RBK13. Stripped down version without ethernet port in satellite devices but still good with dedicated backhaul & stability. more details.
All models mentioned above are with gigabit port. Those with non-gigabit ports like Tp-link E4, Tenda Nova Mw3, Mercusys Halo S2 supports only 100mbps speed only regardless of AC1200 or Ac1300 mentioned on product. So they help in coverage but only if your plan speed is 100mbps or less and you don’t plan get broadband plan of higher speed in future.
All above routers can easily be used with Airtel Xstream Fiber, ACT Fiber plans, Airtel Vfiber, netplus fiber, Bsnl Fiber, Bsnl adsl, Excitel Fiber, Hathway fiber, Tata Sky Fiber etc.