Vodafone has already launched 4G services in 17 states. Here is process to swap and activate your 4g sim.
- Get a 4G sim from any vodafone store by giving the requested matching documents(I don’t think they ask for it any more) and sim fees(if any), I got sim free.
- Don’t take out your old sim from phone yet. Send sms your existing Vodafone sim to 55199 write “SIMEX < 19-20 digit 4G SIM card number printed on New sim card itself>”
- You will receive a reply from 55199 with half SIM number entered asking you to reply with remaining six digit sim no.
- You have 2 hours after receiving that sms to send remaining 6 digits of sim no to 55199.
- You’ll receive success sms in next 5-10 minutes if not then start from step 2 again.
- Now wait for network to disappear and change to new sim only after that. Enjoy 4G!
I think vodafone process can be little cumbersome for some people as you need to send sim no twice which can confuse many people. Airtel got a better process where you need to send sim no just once and confirm with a 1 that’s it.
Update: I just visited voda store here in Delhi, the rep just asked me my mobile no , entered it in his system and gave me a prepaid 4G sim and asked me to do step 3, 4 and 5 in front of him. That’s it.
Q: Sim no is not clear. what to do?
A: Sim no is printed on sim card itself, sim pouch and barcode sticker inside the pouch. Read of any of the place. It is 19-20 digit.
Q: I send the SIMEX sms but no response?
A: Try again after few hours. They put system under maintenance from time to time.